As I wrote in my previous post, MotionApps has had problems with their Classic PalmOs Emulator for the Palm Pre. My own personal and frustrating experience has been nothing but Blue Screens of Death since Palm issued it’s 1.03 update. To make matters worse, MotionApps can’t find the cause and has been unresponsive.
Well, I found the solution! And, MotionApp caused their own problem!
As part of the different fixes, MotionApps created two Readme.txt files. These files are causing the Blue Screen!
If you are having a Blue Screen issue, I would recommend the following:
* Start Classic and after the Blue Screen appears, select from the top menu: Options > Hard Reset. It will warn you about deleting all of your data, but it is the best way to get a stable program. Classic will automatically close and bring you back to the Pre’s Launch window.
* Hold down the orange key and click Classic. You are going to delete this version of classic and all of its remaining files. Next, connect the Pre to your computer through sync cable using the USB Sync and delete the entire ClassicApps folder. Disconnect the Pre from your computer.
* Go Back to the Launch window and select the App Store. Download and install Classic again. This gives you a clean install. Launch Classic to be sure that it opens and is stable (no Blue Screen).
* Now, from your computer, download the latest ClassicROMUpdater.prc from MotionApps. Connect the Pre with the sync cable again using the USB Sync. Copy the ClassicRomUpdater.prc to the Pre’s ClassicApps/PALM/Launcher folder. Disconnect the Pre and launch Classic. In Classic, switch to the Internal category and double click on the ROM Updater icon. When it has finished, click the OK button. Now, minimize Classic and toss the card away.
* Connect the Pre to your computer again through the USB Sync. You have to find those readme.txt files. They are two in these locations:
* DELETE both readme.txt files!!
* Now you can install your PalmOS apps. Just copy them to the ClassicApps\PALM\Launcher\Install\ folder. Once you launch Classic again, you will need to click the Importer icon to import them into the Classic PalmOS emulation. You can also now use the HotSync ID to add your old hot sync name.
At this point, I would limit installing programs one at a time. The environment is still a little buggy. I did manage to install Bejewelled 2, Chuzzle and Hammerheads. Although, when I installed Chuzzle, I did get a Blue Screen again. This time, I selected Safe Mode from the menu and relaunched Classic. It worked in Safe Mode and openned Classic without a problem. I imported Chuzzle and it worked properly! The game’s sound even works now.
It seems stable for now. Guess you can start answering the phones again MotionApps!