Blood from a Stone, Adobe??
I just completed a survey regarding a possible CS5.5 update from Adobe. And yes, they are apparently planning on charging you for the update! The survey featured two different options – either a flat fee for the update or a monthly subscription for continued updates throughout the year. Either way, it will cost you.
Now, you might be thinking that you need HTML5 support or one of the other new features listed below. Well, don’t expect a discount from Adobe when you upgrade to CS6! Adobe has a history of mid-release updates usually around the release of Acrobat Pro. Adobe never offers an additional discount for customers that purchase these mid-suite upgrades. Expect to pay FULL price for the CS6 Upgrade when it is offered!
So how much would this CS5.5 update cost? That depends on which Suite or individual product you plan to upgrade. The upgrade includes a 12-month subscription to CS Live, whether you want it or not. Adobe obviously realizes that pricing such a mid-level upgrade will be an issue. The survey tests 16 different pricing options covering your choice of a flat-fee upgrade or a monthly subscription. Take a look at two of the pricing matrices below showing the most expensive test price and the least expensive test price. Is it really worth either cost?
Here is what Adobe has planned for the CS5.5 Update across their product line, according to the survey:
Adobe InDesign CS5.5 – New Features
- Flexible workflows let you efficiently publish on the Web, smartphones, e-Reading devices, tablets, and desktops
- Create enhanced eBook layouts using EPUB 2.1 specification, with improved formatting for stylized lists and tables, as well as increased control over typography for mobile devices
- Create interactive digital content like interactive slide shows, 360 degree rotations, sound, video for an immersive reading experience
- Create layouts for mobile devices using horizontal and vertical orientation, gesture support and browsing content
Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.5 – New Features
- HTML5 pack 2 update
- Visual interfaces for designing with HTML5/CSS3
- Updated CSS panel
- New Rule dialog and Edit Rule dialog
- Updated Property Inspector
- Live View upgrades
- Create multiscreen designs using Mobile Starter Layouts and Mobile UI Widgets
Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5 – New Features
- Latest Flash Player and AIR runtimes for new Android, RIM BlackBerry, webOS and Adobe Digital Home platforms
- Multi-target project setup allows coding and asset reuse to create, test, package and deploy content across multiple screen types
- Enhanced support for different device resolutions and improve rendering performance
- Support for expanded mobile packaging and deployment test, simulate and deploy stand-alone AIR applications to App Stores, devices and tablets
- Open Source Media Framework (OSFM) media component support for high-quality video playback media player playback
Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5.5 – New Features
- Roundtrip workflow with Adobe Flash Builder – Finally bi-directional workflow between Flash Catalyst and Adobe Flash Builder allows designers and programmer to work in parallel development on the same project, using Flash Catalyst for design and Flash Builder for programming
- Resizable applications and components – Applications, layouts, and components can be resized, stretched and moved by the user. Also, support Scale-9 (allows nine sections of an image to be defined to scale independently) with round-trip support for Illustrator
- Enhanced timelines and animations – Smooth transitions created automatically by designers setting and controlling transitions between states
- Rapid wireframing and interaction design using a new wireframe library with roundtrip editing between Illustrator and Photoshop
- Enhanced workflow with Adobe Flash Professional – Finally, Flash Catalyst can create SWF components which can be imported and edited in Flash Professional. Also, artwork, applications and component states can be exported to Flash Professional
Adobe Flash Builder 4.5 – New Features
- Developing mobile applications – Flex framework can now be used to build and deploy applications for mobile devices. Support for existing and new application mobile development
- Bidirectional workflow between Flash Builder and Flash Catalyst – Developers can begin a project in Flash Builder and hand-off to an interaction designer for use in Flash Catalyst
- More Spark Components for Enterprise application development – new Spark skinning and component architecture to customize and skin Flex components. Includes Spark components like the datagrid to build enterprise applications faster using both Flash Catalyst and Flash Builder
Adobe After Effects CS5.5 – New Features
- Remote Render Queue Monitoring: monitor the progress of renders by web and mobile devices with instant updates for problems and project completion
- Persistent Disk Caching: saving previews to disk on a per layer and per comp basis to minimize re-rendering previews.
- Enhanced Stereoscopic 3D workflows: use stereo camera rigs inside of After Effects and render from multiple cameras sources without duplicating the comp.
- Source timecode support: share frame-accurate timecode information with other post-production tools.
- New support for importing and exporting tapeless formats
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 – New Features
- Faster performance and stability with enhanced Mercury Playback Engine – continued improvements for performance and stability enhancements with faster projects opening, scrubing and play back of complex long-format and effects-heavy projects
- Powerful editing and user interface enhancements to simplify everyday tasks and workflow whether you are a user of Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro or Avid software
- Expanded native support for P2, XDCAM, AVCHD and DSLR cameras to avoid transcoding or rewrapping the original file’s quality
- Easy Closed Captioning support for tape, disc and web playback that meets Section 508 standards.
Adobe Device Central CS5.5 – New Features
- Emulation support for Adobe Flash Player 10.2
- Emulation support for AIR 2.0 for smartphones and Digital Home (such as television set top boxes)
- Enhanced Mobile Web emulation with HTML, and mobile Flash content using built-in WebKit support.
- Additions of iPhone, iPad, and iPod profiles to the device library
Adobe Acrobat Pro 10 – New Features
- Easily convert Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet Explorer, Project, Visio, Access, Publisher, Autodesk AutoCAD and Lotus Notes to PDF
- Create a compressed PDF Portfolio with documents, drawings, e-mails and spreadsheets using stylized layouts, visual themes and branding
- Add interactive content like audio, video and animations for use in the Adobe Reader
- Apply passwords protection or permanently remove sensitive information
- Enhanced preflight checks and fixes to control costs, reduce errors and improve print
- New single click automation through new Actions Wizard
- Documents compare different versions of same document
- Use Acrobat.com to share large documents, collect form data, and review documents
Adobe Audition CS5.5 – New Features
- New Mac version with superior noise reduction capabilities
- Optimized for audio post-production workflows with OMF support for ProTools project exchange
- Native 5.1 Surround Sound support and Surround Reverb effect
- Non-destructive XML session format and Undo history
- New effects like de-hummer, de-esser, and volume leveler
Adobe Business Catalyst – New Addition
Adobe Business Catalyst (BC) is a new, all-in-one solution for creative professionals to build everything from beautiful websites to powerful online businesses without back-end coding. BC is completely customizable, enabling full creative expression for all of your website projects. Your CS Live subscription includes a Standard BC Partnership, which enables you to build and sell BC sites to your clients. Use “Muse” to assist building Web sites that enables you to express the site structure, layout and visual look and feel of a website in a free-form manner, experiencing the creative freedom
SiteCatalyst NetAverages – New Addition